I Won't Back Down

This year I find myself most thankful for the people who bring me strength, especially when I need it most. I know that I may not always express my gratefulness, but to those who have been there for me, especially in the past few months; it means more than you can imagine. Having friends & family who actually listen and care about my medical issues is priceless. Epilepsy has not only brought seizures, but also depression and self doubt, so having a support system is something that I am grateful for. Today is 139 days seizure free, but that doesn’t mean anything yet; one could still happen from stress, lack of sleep, medication related issues, etc. I try to have hope, but I also like to be realistic because epilepsy likes to fight back.

I’m thankful for good music, of many genres; music that makes me reflect, cry, smile, laugh, dance, & sing. I listen to music everyday and it helps me get through the daily grind of life, it makes me feel up when I’m feeling down. Sometimes I put on a melancholic playlist and listen to the sorrow of the singers’ voices; but despite how sad that may sound; it makes me feel better. Then there are the days when I just want to feel good and dance around, so I put on some Tom Petty or Queen and all is well in my world again.

I’m thankful for good books, magazines, poetry and other literature. I tend to be reading at least two or three books at once, usually on various subjects and genres. I’ve been called a bookworm for much of my life, and I’m glad that I still love reading as much as I did as when I was a child. Reading not only allows me to travel to new worlds, but it allows me to learn about other people’s lives and experiences. Reading has been one of the reasons why I developed an interest in writing and it steered me to study Creative Writing in college. Literature will always be a great part of my life and is something that will continue to influence me.


I’m thankful for the first amendment, but I am not complacent about its guarantees. As Ronald Reagan said “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. “

Comments

Popular Posts